You are posting a comment about...
Trial of man accused of terror-related offences delayed so he can fast for Ramadan
From The Telegraph
Taha Hussain, 21, is accused of downloading material glorifying the Paris terror atrocities and has had his trial moved so he can fast for Ramadan. Hussain denied ten counts of disseminating terrorist publications when he appeared on Wednesday via videolink at Kingston Crown Court.
A trial had originally been scheduled for May 30, but the fixture was moved to a later date at the Old Bailey by Judge Paul Dodgson.
Judge Dodgson said: "I only have to think about myself not eating or drinking for 19 hours."
"This is not to be taken as a precedent for all trials involving devout Muslims. The date was fixed administratively but no consideration had been made for Ramadan. I would not be confident for someone to stand trial if I looked up I thought he's not fit to be here."
He told Mr Hussain: "Your trial is going to take place at the Old Bailey either on June 26 or perhaps July 10."
Mr Hussain, of Slough, Berkshire, was remanded in custody ahead of his trial at the Old Bailey.