Andrew Bolt in the Herald Sun. I do like blunt Australians (so long as they are not criticising whinging poms)
It has been beyond ludicrous to hear politicians and journalists deny that jihadists shouting "Allahu akbar" and quoting the Koran are not religiously motivated.
Here's why we see this dumb denial, echoed by Muslim apologists in the West.
- To admit the Koran licences terrorism would be to admit that Islam is dangerous in Western societies and needs reform.
- To admit the Koran licences terrorism would be to admit that immigration policies must be changed to make Western societies safer.
- To admit the terrorists are motivated more by the Koran than by the sins of the West would be to deny the militant Left useful seconders to their own campaigns against our traditions and institutions.
- To admit that religion influences behavior, for good or evil, might let Christianity off the hook, given its obviously civilising influence.
- People here, many raised to despise organised religion and to have an outlandish admiration for their own ability to reason, simply do not understand that others genuinely like being adherents of a faith and are motivated to serve it. Indeed, it is precisely the West's lack of faith that earns it not the admiration of its Islamist enemies but contempt.
And thus we have this dialogue of the deaf.
Islam cannot be reformed, as it is considered perfect and in no need of reform. The Quran is supposed to be the very word of Allah. The whole purpose of terrorism is to impose sharia on the rest of humanity. Sharia is considered "Allah's law" to which the kafir must submit, either willingly or by force. All other religions are false especially Judaism and Christianity. In order to the mentality of the terrorists, one needs to study Islamic eschatology. During the past several centuries, the world has been dominated by the hated kaffir (Christians) and this is a serious theological problem for Muslims. They look at the mythical early days of Mahommed and Rightly Guided Caliphs, the time when Islam conquered huge swaths of territory as a time of blessing from Allah, but something has gone wrong recently. They are intent on fixing that by means of terrorism, so they hope that by terrorizing the kafir, he will be more prone to submit, something that seems to be happening by way of the Stockholm Syndrome. We cannot understand Islam without taking the apocalyptic mentality into account. It¡s a civilizational war and the West is losing due to self-hate and false guilt promoted especially by the left. The Churches have also given in, with the Catholic Church at the head of them. Pope Francis has no understanding of Islam and its terrorism. He never stops repeating that "Islam is not in any way violent" They seem to think that they can calm the beast by means of dialogue, but they are deluding themselves.