From the Telegraph
A 24-year-old Afghan asylum seeker, named only as Farhad N. has been arrested over a suspected terrorist attack after a car was driven into a crowd of people in Munich, leaving at least 28 injured.
The driver of a car that drove into a crowd in the southern German city of Munich on Thursday appears to have acted intentionally, said the head of the regional government. “I must tell you it looks like this was an attack,” Bavarian state premier Markus Soeder told reporters.
The Mini Cooper rammed a group of protesters from Verdi, the main trade union for Germany’s public sector, as they were calling for more pay in schools and hospitals.
Children were among the injured and pictures from the scene show a pram among the debris strewn on the ground.
Local reports say that one woman has been killed, although this has not yet been confirmed by police.
The driver of the car has been “secured” by Munich Police, which said it could not confirm if other suspects were involved. “As reported, the person secured is the driver of the car,” the force said on X. “There is speculation about other people involved. Based on our current knowledge, we cannot confirm this.”
Eyewitnesses described seeing two suspects, one of whom was shot and carried away by the police.
Munich police confirmed to The Telegraph that the driver of the vehicle was a 24-year-old Afghan citizen. He has been arrested and is in custody. After initial confusion over whether a second man had been in the car during the attack, Munich police have said that there were no further suspects other than the Afghan man arrested at the scene.
Some more unconfirmed details on the attacker are being published in the German press.
According to news magazine Der Spiegel, he arrived in Germany in 2016. His application for asylum had been rejected, but he had been allowed to stay in the country due to the security situation in Afghanistan.
He also posted Islamist content on a social media site before carrying out the alleged crime.
The Central Office for Combating Extremism and Terrorism, a department in Bavaria’s state prosecution service, has taken over the case. That the case has been taken on by this department is a further signal that state authorities believe that the suspect had an Islamist motive to his crime.
- Like
- Digg
- Del
- Tumblr
- VKontakte
- Buffer
- Love This
- Odnoklassniki
- Meneame
- Blogger
- Amazon
- Yahoo Mail
- Gmail
- AOL
- Newsvine
- HackerNews
- Evernote
- MySpace
- Mail.ru
- Viadeo
- Line
- Comments
- Yummly
- SMS
- Viber
- Telegram
- Subscribe
- Skype
- Facebook Messenger
- Kakao
- LiveJournal
- Yammer
- Edgar
- Fintel
- Mix
- Instapaper
- Copy Link